HISTORY & GOALS
Through the support of the development of instructional skills and scientific investigation in nurse practitioner education, NONPF serves the public interest by assuring the preparation of highly qualified health care professionals.
NONPF's formative years were focused on establishing curriculum guidelines for nurse practitioner education during 1976-1980. The first national meeting of nurse practitioner educators was held in 1974, and from 1976-1980 the National Task Force for Family Nurse Practitioner Curriculum and Evaluation developed guidelines. Upon completion of the curriculum project, the task force members felt the need for continued dialogue on NP education issues and the first organizational meeting of NONPF was held on April 10, 1980, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. NONPF has grown since to a strong organization representing over approximately 90% of all institutions in the US with NP Programs, as well as, faculty from programs in Canada, the United Kingdom, and other countries.
NONPF: The leader in quality nurse practitioner education.
Our vision is to be the preeminent global leader in providing timely and critical resources for NP educators and advancing innovative models that support NP educational programs to meet the highest quality standards. We unite and lead NP educators in transforming healthcare.
The Board of Directors has identified the following priority goals for NONPF:
- Advancing QUALITY - Promotes continuous and collaborative quality improvement and evidence-based approaches to national and global NP education through the development of standards, guidelines, teaching instruments, resources, and networking exchanges for faculty.
- Influencing POLICY - Leads the nursing community to advance NP education and NP educational policy through independent and collaborative initiatives.
- Fostering DIVERSITY - Champions a culture of diversity in NONPF and across NP education.
- Promoting SCHOLARSHIP – Promotes opportunities that advance the scholarship of NP educators in teaching, research, practice, and service.
- Strengthening RESOURCES - Secures the growth, financial viability, and sustainability of NONPF, recognizing our membership as a valuable resource.
Updated September 2012